Saturday, April 23, 2016

Daniel's Wish




I am so glad that we were able to take Daniel on his Make-A-Wish trip.  We knew that he was eligible since he was 2 years old, but we had wanted to wait until Daniel was old enough to make his own wish.  We knew this was a risk, as there was never anyone who could tell us how long Daniel would live but we hoped he would live long enough to be able to make his own.

Just before Christmas in 2014, Brent and I had surprised our kids with a trip to the beach and to Disney World.  The three youngest had never been to an ocean shore of any kind and Disney has always been a family favorite.  We had a WONDERFUL time.  Daniel loved the ocean.  Everyone did.  And Disney was as fun as it always is!!  I love that place.

Upon returning from that trip, Daniel learned how to say "world".  And he began to ask every. single. day. to go back to "World".  He would go through a whole dialog.  He would say "World", kiss the air (meaning he wanted to kiss Minnie Mouse), he would then put out knuckles (for giving knuckles to Goofy) and then he would say "boots" for seeing Jake's boots again.  When we visited Dr. Ivy in August, he did this for he and Beth too.  And so it was at this visit that we decided maybe it was time.  Daniel was definitely expressing a "wish" to go back to Disney World, very persistently!!  :)

In late August we heard from Make-A-Wish that Daniel would get to have his wish granted!  And shortly after meeting our wonderful granters, a plan was in the works for Daniel and family to return to Disney World.  And oh my goodness did he have so much fun!  The best part was receiving a Genie Pass.  For him the blessing in this was being able to meet all the characters he wanted to.  That was Daniel's favorite part of Disney...hugging the characters.  One of my all time favorite memories of him was when he met Tinker Bell and hugged the photographer before hugging her and then preceded to hug the strangers waiting in line.  He had so much love to give!

Today our family saw some of Daniel's favorite characters.  Not at Disney World, but at a Disney character resort.  It was our first official family photo taken without Daniel.  The tears have come in full force and the weight of the grief and missing is as great as it has been.  But as I walked this afternoon, I sang "It is well with my soul" and thought about the story behind what led to the writing of this hymn (read the story here). God has again been faithful to comfort my heart, as even though I grieve it is not without hope.  God has been faithful to have my heart "overflow with hope" as Romans 15:13  says.

But oh friends.  Today was hard.

As Sam gave Goofy knuckles in honor of Daniel and Lizzy gave Minnie Mouse a kiss, it was too much for my heart to take.  And I cried.  I felt the need to tell our waitress why I was crying, because I could tell she was worried...and then she cried too.  And hugged every one of us.

It is nice that others care.  Even a stranger who only waited on us for a little over an hour.    She told me that "I hid it well".  Which I guess must mean that I don't outwardly look how people would think, knowing how recent his death is.  I know this is grace too.

I am sure that one day I will look back and see God's faithfulness to us now, the same as I can so clearly in Daniel's 6 years of life.  How am I sure?  Because, of one thing I am confident...God is faithful.  He is faithful.  He will not leave me now.




2 comments:

  1. There will be many firsts again as you learn to navigate this life without Daniel but you are so right Jaci-God is faithful and it is well with our soul because of who He is. Love you, crying as I read this knowing how difficult this first was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jaci, I cry reading this, so sad and so thankful. So thankful for how your Brent are walking this with your family. You guys are so brave and I know it's because he makes you brave. My heart aches as you grieve during this "first" experience without sweet Daniel. But I am so glad God is faithful.... He has been, he is, and he will be... Of this I'm sure.

    Thank you for so vulnerably sharing your life with us, and for loving your family with the depths you do, that allows you to experience deep grief yet continue in deep joy with your family.....I love you sister and am daily rooting for you guys. So glad Lizzie got to kiss Minnie and Sam gave knuckles to goofy. I love you.

    ReplyDelete