Friday, April 15, 2016

A Birthday

Today is Drew's 15th birthday.

Our first family celebration without one of our family members.  I asked Drew this morning, "What is it like for you?" "Weird." Was his response.

It is weird.

Brent and I blew up balloons, wrote on cards and left Drew's presents by his door as is our family tradition.  We all sang happy birthday and watched him open as soon as we were all awake.  We then spent the morning snorkeling in a beautiful bay.  And picked up pizza for lunch per Drew's request.  Tonight we will grill and have cake and sing some more.

But he is right, it is weird.

Necessary and right to continue to celebrate the life in front of us, but so weird to be minus one.

I can't tell you how many times since Daniel's death that I have had a moment where I feel like I'm forgetting something.

I wonder if it will always be weird.

Since we spent the morning in a beautiful bay, I thought these photos of Daniel and Drew from last summer at Myrtle Beach would be a good memory for today.

Look at how he looked at you "ooooo-ck"(This was how Daniel said Drew's name the past few months...long "o" sound) .





He loved you so much.

Thanks for being a great big brother to him.

Happy golden birthday dear Drew.  And even though it is "weird", we are so thankful to be able to celebrate your life today.  Love you so much.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read your family memories and that we were nearby for some of them. I hope Drew had as best of birthday as he could. ❤️ Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too Drew! You were special in Daniel's life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete